I have spent the last almost 10 years with a veteran who is still active duty and will be for another 8 years. We are on our 3rd duty station and 4th deployment (2 to Kosovo and now the 2nd to Iraq). The post has always done several ceremonies for veterans day.And for 4 years in high school I marched in the Veterans Day parade in ROTC. Believe it or not its very cold standing in the middle of the street in Atlanta.
My point?
I am so very thankful for my husband's and our friends service. But more importantly I am thankful for nearly 10 years with this wonderful man. The majority of the soldiers I have met don't do this for the recognition (although they appreciate it all the same). They do it because they want to be in service, for college, to provide for their families and the future. And so like any employee, they like to hear thank you for the service, but in saying thank you, also say "Good job" thats the one they don't hear often.
And not to toot my own horn, hug a veterans family member, because they make a sacrifice too. You don't know fear until you see a chaplain in full dress walking up the drive way.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.